Tuesday, November 13, 2007

#16 Wiki's

I really like the idea of wiki's and can see lots of potential uses for them in our library. I think it is fantastic that anyone can add, edit or delete content without having to know html. I also like that there are tracking tools that allow users to keep up with any changes that have been made and that users have the option of going back to earlier versions if they choose.

While looking at the book lovers wiki I found that once I had accessed the 5 star review link it continually looped me back to this page and I found it hard to access any of the other links. I do like this concept and would love to see my library adopt a similar project.

I also spent some time on the St. Joseph County Public Library wiki. This site has some really great features. I really liked that patrons could subscribe to a reading history if they wanted and that reference questions could be asked and answered via live chat.

I do hold some reservations when wiki's like wikipedia are making information available to people that may be inaccurate, but I guess that we need to educate our users to look for authoritative resources when researching information.

No comments: